Scary Home Burglary Statistics
That’ll Keep You Up at Night
Home is where many of us are the happiest, but it is also where our most valuable possessions are kept. The idea of a home burglary and the loss of personal belongings is something that can give anyone chills.
While home security is a top priority for many people, burglaries occur in the United States every 26 seconds, and homes without a security system are three times more likely to be burglarized. While home security systems cannot prevent break-ins entirely, Guardian Alarm’s 24/7 monitoring center responds to alarm signals in under five seconds, reducing the time that burglars can have in your home.
In this article, we will not only recognize some alarming burglary statistics but also explore some of the most common items that thieves target when they enter our homes.
Home Burglary by the Numbers
The statistics surrounding home burglaries are indeed alarming, but being aware of the common items that burglars target can help you take steps to protect your home. Investing in the best security system, keeping doors and windows secure, and locking away valuables are all essential measures to protect your property.
To understand the significance of protecting our homes, let us begin with some recent burglary statistics. While specific numbers may vary by region and year, here are some general figures to set the stage:
- Frequency of Burglaries: On average, there are over two million home burglaries reported annually in the United States alone, according to the FBI (Federal Bureau of Investigation).
- Seasonal Trends: Burglaries often spike during the holiday season when homes are filled with valuable gifts.
- Theft vs. Burglary: It is important to note that theft is different from burglary. Burglary involves unlawful entry into a building with the intent to commit a crime, such as theft.
- The Emotional Toll: Beyond the statistics are the emotional consequences for victims, including feelings of violation and insecurity.
In addition to these general statistics, there are some specific statistics worth noting. For example, according to the FBI, the average loss from a burglary in the United States is $2,661. This may not seem like a lot of money, but it can add up quickly, especially if you are burglarized multiple times.
Another scary fact is that burglars are becoming increasingly sophisticated. In the past, burglars would simply break into a home and take whatever they could find. However, today’s burglars are more likely to target specific items, such as jewelry, electronics, and firearms. They may also be more likely to take the time to disable a home security system before breaking in.
Now, to get to the really scary part… the numbers! Here are some alarm statistics that will keep you up at night:
- On average, there are some 2.5 million burglaries occurring every year.
- 65% of home burglars enter a home through a first-floor window or door. This means it is important to ensure all your first-floor windows and doors are properly locked and secure.
- Only 17% of homes have a security system. This means most homes are vulnerable to burglary.
- 85% of home break-ins are not conducted by professional burglars, meaning there are greater chances of destruction and violence during invasions.
- Homes without a security system are three times more likely to be burglarized. This is because burglars are more likely to target homes that are easy to break into.
- Burglars are more likely to target homes that are empty during the day. If you are going to be away from home during the day, make sure to set up your security system and turn on some lights.
- Install a home security system from Guardian Alarm. This is the best first line of defense for your home from instant alarm system signals, security cameras, motion detection, and more. All are installed and monitored professionally by our expert security team.
These statistics show that home burglaries are still a major problem in the United States. However, they also show that having a home security system can significantly reduce your risk of being burglarized. Remember that burglars are opportunistic, and they are more likely to target homes that appear vulnerable. By taking preventive measures, you can reduce your risk and sleep more soundly knowing that your home is better protected.
While the fear of burglary may linger during the Halloween and upcoming holiday season, proactive security measures can help you rest easier at night. Guardian Alarm is here to protect you, your family, and your home from any kind of danger 24/7. Whether you are out trick-or-treating for Halloween, or you are watching a movie on the couch, our expert security team is on guard protecting you.
From instant alarm system triggers to motion sensors, fire detectors, video cameras, and more, Guardian Alarm has a full suite of smart security solutions designed to create the safe haven of your dreams. With our team in tow, you will have peace of mind for life, no matter how scary life can get.