From Alarm to Arrest in 15 Minutes: Commercial Alarm Systems
Crime-Stopping Commerical Alarm Systems
Using the advanced technology of Guardian Alarm, our commercial alarm systems save homes and businesses from break-ins, fires, and more every day. Recently, our team helped police chase down criminals who broke into Lume Cannabis of Southfield in less than 15 minutes.
From the first alarm signal to dispatch, it took our monitoring specialists less than five minutes to get the police on the scene to catch the serial thieves. Police reported the getaway car reached speeds of up to 114 MPH before they were stopped, and all four suspects were arrested. All four suspects have criminal histories, specifically including illegal drugs and weapons. Through Guardian Alarm’s services, we not only helped protect our customers but also our greater community.
The pursuit came to an end in Warren when the suspects’ vehicle crashed following a PIT maneuver. Two individuals from the group fled their SUV, while the remaining two chose to remain behind. Eventually, law enforcement successfully apprehended all four men. Southfield Police Chief Elvin Barren characterized this group as a serial breaking and entering crew.
The Growing Threat to Cannabis Dispensaries
Much like the case is for Lume Cannabis, security is a paramount concern for cannabis dispensary owners and operators. With the industry experiencing rapid growth, cannabis dispensaries have become lucrative targets for criminals. Fortunately, today’s security technology offers a comprehensive arsenal of tools and systems that can help prevent crime and theft, protecting both the businesses and the communities they serve.
Especially in the situation with Lume Cannabis, dispensaries are often prime targets for theft, vandalism, and other criminal activities due to the valuable nature of their products. Plus, cannabis itself is highly sought after on the black market due to its street value. There is also a false perception that the security measures in place at dispensaries may not be as stringent as those at other retail establishments, making them soft targets.
To mitigate these risks and ensure the safety of both customers and staff, today’s commercial alarm systems have become a crucial tool for crime prevention in cannabis dispensaries.
Intrusion Detection: Commerical Alarm Systems
Modern alarm systems are sophisticated and can detect unauthorized entry, glass breakage, or unusual activity within the dispensary. When triggered, these systems can alert dispensary staff, security personnel, and law enforcement, depending on the severity of the incident. Intrusion sensors can be integrated with other commercial alarm systems, such as surveillance cameras, to provide a more comprehensive view of the situation.
- Biometric Authentication: Biometric authentication adds an extra layer of security by relying on unique physical characteristics like fingerprints, retina scans, or facial recognition. Dispensaries can use biometrics to secure access to restricted areas or to authenticate employees before granting them access to cash or inventory. This technology ensures that only authorized individuals can perform critical tasks.
- Secure Cash Handling Solutions: Cash management is a significant concern for dispensaries, as they often deal with large sums of money. Secure cash handling solutions, such as cash safes and smart cash management systems, can reduce the risk of internal and external theft. These systems automate cash handling, minimize human error, and track every transaction, creating an audit trail that is crucial for accountability and loss prevention.
- Panic Buttons & Duress Alarms: Dispensaries can install panic buttons or duress alarms at discreet locations throughout the facility. In case of an emergency, employees can activate these devices to immediately alert law enforcement or security personnel. This rapid response capability can help protect employees and customers during a potentially dangerous situation.
Remote Video Monitoring Systems
Remote video monitoring is a foundational element of modern dispensary security. High-definition cameras positioned strategically both inside and outside the facility provide real-time video surveillance and recording capabilities. These systems serve multiple purposes:
- Deterrence: Visible security cameras act as a deterrent, dissuading potential criminals from attempting theft or vandalism.
- Incident Documentation: In the unfortunate event of a crime or theft, recorded video footage can serve as invaluable evidence for law enforcement and insurance claims.
- Employee Accountability: Surveillance cameras help monitor employee activities, reducing the risk of internal theft.
Today’s remote video monitoring systems often come equipped with features such as motion detection, remote access, and cloud storage, providing dispensaries with enhanced security and flexibility.
24/7 Monitoring & Response Services
Many security technology providers offer 24/7 security monitoring services. Trained professionals can continuously watch surveillance footage, respond to alarms, and dispatch law enforcement or private security personnel as needed. This proactive approach can significantly reduce response times during emergencies, improving overall security.
- Environmental Monitoring: Environmental threats, such as fires or floods, can also pose risks to cannabis dispensaries. Advanced security technology includes environmental monitoring systems that can detect and alert staff to these hazards. Early detection can help prevent property damage and ensure the safety of employees and customers.
- Integration & Automation: Integration is a key trend in modern security technology. Dispensaries can integrate various security systems, including video surveillance, access control, and alarms, into a unified platform. This integration enables seamless communication between different components, allowing for automated responses to security incidents. For example, if a security breach is detected, the system can lock down access points, activate alarms, and notify authorities simultaneously.
Access Control Systems
Access control technology ensures that only authorized personnel can enter sensitive areas of the dispensary. This technology includes keycard systems, biometric scanners, and PIN-based access. Dispensary owners can restrict access to secure areas such as inventory rooms, cash storage, and surveillance system controls. These systems not only prevent unauthorized access but also help maintain a digital trail of who entered specific areas and when.
Peace of Mind for Customers
Customers visiting a cannabis dispensary expect a safe and secure environment. Knowing that the dispensary employs advanced commercial alarm systems can instill confidence in customers, encouraging them to frequent the establishment. In turn, this fosters customer loyalty and trust, positively impacting the dispensary’s reputation and business.
Guardian Alarm: The Experts in Commercial Alarm Systems
According to police reports, it’s likely that the suspects were serial criminals, potentially responsible for break-ins at other cannabis facilities in the area.
As the cannabis market continues to expand, dispensary owners must prioritize security to protect their businesses, employees, and customers, and today’s alarm systems play a central role in achieving this goal. Guardian Alarm’s team of security analysts has some of the fastest response times in the business and a deterrence rate of over 98%. That shows you that, no matter what, our response team is on the scene and deterring crime in real-time, just as we were for Lume Cannabis.